Staff Backend Engineer
Large marketplaces like Amazon have trained us to expect products delivered to our doorsteps within 1-2 days at no extra cost. As a result, millions of sellers on other marketplaces are falling behind, unable to cost-effectively deliver products to their customers. Our mission is to transform the $8-12T fragmented and outdated logistics industry, and build an intelligent, asset-lite network that enables any online seller to offer fast, affordable fulfillment.
How we arrived at Deliverr is different — we are violinists, economists, ex-consultants, journalists, and more. What unites us together is the Deliverr factor: a bias for action, curiosity, and entrepreneurial ownership. We're looking for intelligent, driven, and passionate people to help make our vision a reality. We’re based in the heart of San Francisco and building teams around the globe — backed by leading Silicon Valley venture capital firms. If you are excited about joining a people-first company that is driven to power the future of online retail, — we're looking for you. Are you ready?
What You'll Do:
Staff Engineers at Deliverr are expected to profoundly impact a wide variety of technology decisions, spanning many projects across multiple teams. Our projects are deeply complex and have real world impact.
We are looking for an Engineer who brings experience in multiple domains building large-scale applications. We want you to have an in-depth knowledge of many technologies, platforms, tools, frameworks, and standard methodologies.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the team:
- Set the vision and direction for your business domain to enable Deliverr to deliver on its capacity, reliability and financial goals.
- Build and retain a diverse, inclusive and outstanding engineering team through mentorship, guidance and career development
- Develop processes, software and technology required to do capacity management and performance programs for Deliverr.
- Establish and operate Deliverr’s company infrastructure and software efficiency programs
- Manage individual and team project priorities, deadlines and deliverables.
- Actively learn new languages, techniques, and methodologies.
- Contribute actively to code reviews and design reviews.
What We’re Looking For:
- 8+ years of experience in building large-scale distributed systems in a high-calibre environment.
- You have a proven record of building and productionizing highly reliable infrastructure at scale.
- You are willing to get your hands dirty in implementation and design
- Ability to assess new technologies and make pragmatic choices that help guide us towards a long-term vision.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills, including writing detailed technical design documents.
- Customer obsessed and have a product attitude.
- You can collaborate well with product engineering teams to articulate requirements and system design.
- You have contributed to the broader technical community through tech talks, publications, open-source projects or other ways.
- You have deep, industry-leading expertise in one or more technology domains.
- You have built large scale projects from beginning to end.
Bonus Points For:
- Master’s, Ph.D. degree, further education or experience in engineering, computer science or another technical related field.
- Prior experience in Supply Chain, Fulfillment, Logistics, Shipping and Warehouse technologies.
- Machine learning, operations research and optimization, developing large software systems, logistics & fulfillment industry, pricing algorithms, shipping technology.
- Rich GitHub or hackathon accolades or other ways to show that you love to code.
- Experience scaling a start-up engineering team.
- React and Redux for UI.
- Independent Service-Oriented Architectures with services composed of:
- Java, Spring and MySQL RDS.
- Node, Typescript, MySQL RDS.
- DynamoDB for integration services
- SQS for queuing.
- We run on AWS.
Deliverr is featured in LinkedIn's 2020 Top Startups List!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other legally protected status. Deliverr is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities through the hiring process.
Comprehensive benefits for hard working teams.
You’ll have a tough challenge to tackle, so we make sure you’re covered!